Wednesday, September 23, 2015

Star Wars Kanan #6 Review/Recap (Spoilers!): Companion to Star Wars Rebels?



Kanan #6 starts the second story arc in the Kanan comics. The first five issues were fantastic and I was excited for this issue. I thought it was a good idea to have a story based during the current timeline of the show. The question by the end of the comic is, will they do this?  While I like the story introduced in this issue, I found the ending a bit confusing. I have since gone back and read it again, and I’m still not sure what was going on during the last few pages. Guess I’ll have to wait for the next issue to find out.
The comic starts off with our band of Rebels landing on the planet Kaller; where Kanan’s master was killed. The band is on the planet to get some supplies, but soon realize they have been stolen. They also find the Imperial Governor Gamut waiting for them when they land. They don’t have any incriminating evidence and are allowed to leave, but still must find their supplies. They split up and go in search for them. The governor knew Kanan when he was a Padawan but didn’t recognize him.  Kanan thinks his old smuggling friend, Kasmir, might have stolen the goods, and goes to one of his old hideouts.
When Kanan arrives he finds another smuggler in the hideout, and finds his supplies. He beats up the gang, and calls the rest of the team to come pick him up. He gets injured during the fight, and then the Governor shows up. This is the point I got confused in the comic. I’m not sure where the Governor Gamut came from.  He just randomly shows up during the end of the fight. He drops some hints that he might like to work with the rebellion. This seems a bit too fortuitous. I have a feeling Gamut it playing Kanan. He knows who Kanan is and wants to turn him over to the Empire.
Kanan’s injury appears to be bad and he passes out at the end of the issue. The question is, did Gamut leave, or is he waiting to take Kanan to an Imperial detention center?  The Spector crew will be at the location shortly so Gamut would have to move quickly if this is the case. The next issue looks like it could be another flashback while Kanan is recovering from his wound. I hope if this is the case it is only for one issue. I like the backstory, but a companion story to the show would be entertaining to follow.
The art in the comic seems consistent to the television show, which I enjoyed. There was not a ton of action, just some setup for later issues. It will be interesting to see if Gamut the Governor is truly looking to support the Rebels or wants to double cross our heroes.  With this much setup I don’t see them going and doing another backstory arc, but that’s why I thought the comic was a bit confusing. I am not sure where they are going with the story.
This issue wasn’t quite as strong as the first five of the Kanan comics. It was still entertaining and gives a good setup if they continue during the timeline of the show. If you haven’t picked up the first five issues, find them and buy them, they are well worth owning. Then read Star Wars A New Dawn to get ready for the second season of Rebels starting shortly.

What are you thinking of Kanan? Did you find the ending of the issue confusing? Let me know, share like and all that fun jazz. 

No comments:

Post a Comment