Thursday, March 3, 2016

Ghostbusters Trailer Discussion (Review/Recap I Guess): I'm Worried Now




 Is this a reboot or continuation of the original story? They have been saying all along that it’s a reboot and the first two films did not happen. The opening text seems to say that the other films did happen and we are in the same universe. Which I am fine with if that is the way they are going. I prefer that actually to a straight reboot. I have always wanted a Ghostbusters 3. I don’t care if it’s with a different group of people or that they are all girls, just give me more Ghostbusters. I guess we’ll just have to wait and see for the movie, the initial text hooked me though and got me excited with the Ghostbuster song playing 
Then we get the opening shot of the trailer which seems to be an homage to the originals movies opening scene. The opening scene from the first ghostbusters is brilliant. It built tension and excitement and then ended with a fantastic payoff joke. This just had Kristen Wiig getting thrown up on.  After the strong start of just having text flash, it immediately lost me. I’ve watched the trailer a couple of times now, and it is not as jarring the second or third time, but I don’t think they should have tried to recapture such an iconic scene and then display it in the trailer
Then the rest of the trailer I thought was good. I was immediately drawn to Mellissa McKinnon character Jillian Holtzamann. She made me laugh during the middle part of the trailer. Watching it again her facial expression are amazing and I am instantly intrigued by her. McCarthy though seems out of place. It seems like she is going to play a character similar to Ray which I think she can pull off, but the trailer did not highlight this fact well.
Then the end lost me again. Why go with possession and then spoof The Exorcist? They took the opening of original Ghostbusters and then ended with a spoof of The Exorcist and neither clip worked for me.
 Regardless I’m going to be in the theater on a Thursday night when this movie comes out. I love Ghostbusters. It is probably one of my top 5 films from my childhood, and something I can still re-watch endlessly. I love the second one, which I’ll admit isn’t as good, but I still love it.  I want this movie to be good. I wanted a continuation and if that is what we are getting then great, if not I’m okay with that too. I just want a good movie and this trailer did little make me thing this movie will be good.
 Though I’ll admit I haven’t liked many trailers for Paul Feig’s movies. Spy looked horrible, but I loved it. I still haven’t seen all of the The Heat, but apparently it’s good too, but I thought it looked bad from the trailers. I don’t think I even like The Bridesmaids trailer, but I love that movie as well. Maybe he should find someone else to cut his trailers, or if he does it himself the let someone else do it.
Trailers are supposed to get you excited for the movie, this leaves me worried. For a movie that already has so much negativity thrown at it, The Trailer needed to be fantastic, and sadly I don’t think this delivered. I can only hope the movie, like other Paul Fieig’s movies, is vastly superior to the trailer..
Let me know what you thought of the trailer and if you liked it or hated it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment