Sunday, March 20, 2016

The Walking Dead S6E14 Twice as Far Recap/Review (Spoilers!): Unexpected


This seemed like a slow filler episode, until the last ten minutes.
Twice as Far was an interesting episode to have with only three left in the season. The entire second half of season six has been excellent, and I was willing to accept a slower character development episode. It seemed both Denise and Eugene were stepping out of behind their protection to become stronger assets to the entire groups. To then turn around and kill her as she was making a point about learning not to fear the outside was unexpected. I didn’t see it coming, and it added impact to the episode overall.
I thought after she killed the walker and went back to Alexandria, Denise would become a stronger more influential person for the group. They need a doctor, and I guess the OB from The Hilltop will become the go to person for medical care now. I was not liking the episode right up until the point where she stood up to Daryl and Rosita, and explained why she chose them specifically to go with her. She admired them and wanted to be like them. Now she’s dead, and by accident. The guy who shot her was aiming for Daryl. Tara, once she gets back, will be devastated.
Eugene on the opposite side took a big leap forward in Abraham’s eyes. He was able to cause enough of a distraction for the group to make it out alive. There was some really flawed logic on the part of the Saviors though. Did they really think a group who brutally and savagely took them out would just let them waltz into their town with hostages and give them whatever they wanted? I almost would have liked the episode to have progressed that way. Then we would have seen how Rick and the others would have handled the situation. Would they have sacrificed the members of the group for the good of the entire town? I guess we will never know, but it would have been interesting. Eugene biting the guy’s private parts (dick) was fantastic. He was like a bulldog, once he latched on he wasn’t letting go.
The rest of the episode was standard fair. The town was getting back to a normal routine, but Carol couldn’t handle it. We end with her leaving, going out on her own, because she doesn’t want to kill for the group. She wants to protect them, but the only way to do that is to kill. She doesn’t want to be that person. I’m not sure how she thinks she is going to survive on the outside without killing, but maybe she thinks she can. We end with Morgan staring off in the distance. I missed the end of Carol’s letter, because the episode cut out and showed scenes from the next week. It would be nice to know if she mentioned Morgan, and if his views influenced her.
We saw Morgan building something during last week’s episode. Now we know it was a jail cell. He wants options for when things happen go wrong. He wants to hold onto some semblance of a normal society, or building one again. I don’t blame him. Morgan is probably my favorite character on the show. That is not a popular opinion to have. Everyone thinks he should kill, and let go of the principals he has developed. I don’t. I want him to hold onto his ideals as long as he can. Do I think he will eventually be made to kill? Yes I do, but I want it to be long down the line. I think the show needs someone who refuses to give into killing other people. Someone who thinks that all life is precious, and that anyone can still be redeemed. Morgan was crazy, he was just as crazy and wild as any of the wolves or saviors, not killing is keeping him sane.
I want him to be tested in the last two episodes, and I think he will. I also hope he sticks to his morals. I realize for the world Morgan lives in this isn’t the wisest choice, but it’s the choice he has to make for himself. Where does his choice end and start to effect the entire group? His choice not to kill almost cost Rick his life. Can he survive in Alexandria if something like that were to happen again? I’m not sure he can.

This week’s episode started out as filler, but ended with setting up a strong last two episodes. I’m not sure who will make it out of the season alive, but I think anyone is on the table, even Rick. I don’t think it’s probable, but at this point I think they could go in any direction they want with the show. What did you think of tonight’s episode? I kept expecting something to happen, but was surprised when it finally did. What do you think about the loss of Denise? Who do you think will be lost over the last two episodes? Comment and let me know. 

No comments:

Post a Comment