Wednesday, August 17, 2016

Star Wars Comics Review/Recap (Spoilers): Poe Dameron #5



The fifth issue in the Poe Dameron comic is the second installment of the new arc. The black squadron crew finds themselves unwilling guests of a Hutt lord on a prison world. The Hutt knows the next location Lor San Tekka went, and will tell either the Resistance or the First Order. The group which gets the Hutt off the world first will find out the information on San Tekka.

I had issues with the first few Poe Dameron comics, but these last installments have been really well done. The dynamic between the members of Black Squadron is starting to come together. The dialogue seemed to flow more naturally in this issue than previous ones. The story is also more interesting than trying to protect a giant egg. I am compelled to see how the group is going to escape from the prison planet with the Agent Terex from the first order plotting to capture the Hutt. Terex is becoming a very intriguing villain in these comics.  

The first three issues didn’t have an interesting story and the dialogue seemed forced most of the time. The last two have started to setup a great story. I like that Poe had a backup plan or a plan about how to get off the world the whole time. He figured on being betrayed and made sure to have a contingency plan. This adds to the pilot’s character and explains why he is the leader of Black Squadron when there are older pilots who could out rank him.

I’m not sure if I like the droid back up plan. I like the comic using BB-8 and other droids, but just having them implement a plan of rescue seems a bit far-fetched. I would have like to have seen a pilot somehow left behind as well to help the droids. The pilot could have been in a secret compartment in one of the X-Wings for the plan. Yes I know there aren’t secret compartments in X-Wings, but why can’t there be in the new Resistance models? This story point with the droids is still better than most of what was in the first three issues. I’m interested to see how BB-8 manages to get away from the security droid which cornered him and the rest of the droid crew.

While I like where the story is going this issue is more of a setup for the next few editions. I’m excited to read because of how well the story has been setup. There isn’t much cannon coming out about events between Return of the Jedi and The Force Awakens, and I’m glad this is starting to get more intriguing. I want to know more about the mission to find San Tekka and what role he played in discovering the map to Luke. I also wouldn’t mind some backstory on how he knew the Skywalker family and his relationship with Ben. A one off issue in the Poe comic series just focusing on San Tekka could do this, or even a short novel.


Let me know what you think of the new arc in the Poe series. Did you dislike the first three issues like me? Comment and let me know. 

No comments:

Post a Comment