Thursday, February 2, 2017

Not a Dune Fan, but Still Excited for Denis Villeneuve Directing


News dropped from Brian Herbert, son of original author Frank Herbert of Dune, that Legendary pictures had signed Denis Villeneuve to direct a new film adaptation for the book. I personally have never gotten the appeal of Dune. I read the first book a few years ago, and didn’t get into it. It was a perfectly fine novel and story, but not as epic or far reaching as I was looking forward too. My expectations for the book may have been too high since it had been built up by so many before I read it. Getting Denis Villeneuve to direct a film which he loves the content, gets me excited.

Denis Villeneuve has directed two of my favorite films from the past two years. Sicario was fantastic, and so is Arrival. He is an amazing director and hasn’t had a miss yet. His upcoming Blade Runner sequel is one of my most anticipated films of the year of this year. He obviously has a passion for trying to bring meaningful Science Fiction stories to the big screen. Arrival was the first, Blade Runner will be the second, and he will follow it up with Dune. Then the question becomes how many Dune films will he direct or will he step aside and let other directors continue on the story of the universe? I would think he would move onto another project.

These projects because of Denis Villeneuve have a chance to make the Oscar and other awards ceremonies take notice of genre films. With Arrival being nominated this year he could easily follow it up with Blade Runner with its subject matter.  Dune also has a deep subject matter, and while I didn’t necessarily love the book, Villeneuve could transform the story to film and make me take notice. It doesn’t happen often that a film is better than book, but for me this one could be the case.  It doesn’t happen often, but with a good director it is a possible.


Overall the news of a Dune adaptation doesn’t get me excited, but having Denis Villeneuve direct it does. I can’t wait to see what he comes up with. 

No comments:

Post a Comment