Tuesday, January 17, 2017

Wind River Premieres at Sundance


Taylor Sheridan who is the writer of two of the best films to come out in the past two years, Sicario and Hell or High Water, makes his directorial debut with another neo-Western in Wind River.

The film is going to be playing at the Sundance Film Festival and if I had the ability to go to the festival this would be the one film I would have to see. Sicario and Hell or High Water are both two of my favorite films to come out over the past two years, and seeing a third written and now directed by Sheridan has me intrigued.

The film is set on a remote Indian Reservation, Wind River and an FBI agent played by Elizabeth Olsen is sent to investigate. Jeremy Renner also stars in the murder thriller. After how fantastic the characters and story were for Sheridan's other two films this one sounds fantastic as well. Sheridan seems to know how to write a story, lets hope he can direct as well.

The Weinstein Group had bought distribution rights to the film last year, but they recently backed out of the deal and the film is up for sale at Sundance. This gives me a slight pause because of the Weinstein's eye for good indie movies, and because Sheridan is a first time director. However Harvey Weinstein is rumored to be hard to work with, so a deal may have just fallen through.  If you read between the lines of a report from THR, this may have been the case.

I'm looking forward to finding out what people think of the film at Sundance. I'll be closely watching for reviews of people I trust who go and see the film. If the film is good I want buzz to start early and often to propel Sheridan's film into the forefront.

Let me know if you are excited about Taylor Sheridan's directorial debut, or if there is another film at Sundance you have your eye one.

No comments:

Post a Comment