Tuesday, December 20, 2016

The Emoji Movie Trailer - Sony Pictures Strikes Again


Sony's motion picture department hasn't had the best year with regards to trailers. First the Ghostbusters trailer became one of the most disliked videos on YouTube and now, in all their wisdom, they released the trailer for the Emoji movie. 

The Emoji movie is probably in direct response to the success of The Lego Movie. An executive at Sony thought having the license to all of the different symbols on phones would make a terrific film. The movie could be good, but everything about it reeks of a money grab. Someone saw merchandises opportunities and greenlit the film. 

One small glimmer of hope for me comes in how the above trailer was shot and released. It's in portrait mode instead of landscape, and I really hope it's a troll to everyone who can't stand people who release videos shot in Portrait. It drove me crazy. I hope this is the case and they just didn't do it because emoji's are on phones and releasing it this way resembles a phone. I really hope it was a clever troll and not the latter, but I have a sinking feeling it was. I can hope someone creating the movie has some semblance of humor and is actually is thinking about marketing the movie. 

What would be great is if the film ends up being rated R in the vain of Sausage Party and the entire movie is a troll. I highly doubt this is the case, but the studio did release Sausage Party. The people at Sony have to realize how horrible the idea of this movie seems and that it looks like a giant money grab. This is the why I think it might just be a ploy, especially with someone like TJ Miller attached. Probably not, but I can hope. 

How much did you hate the trailer? Do you think it is one of the worst ideas for a movie ever?  Comment and let me know. 

No comments:

Post a Comment